Monday, February 6, 2012

Blessings: 02/06/12

Hello again, dear friends. Week #3 (can you even believe this!?). Let's jump in!

1) They say it's my birthday (na na na na na) and it was! Feb. 1 I turned TWENTY-SIX! I love birthdays. Mine, yours, Brads, Coltons, everyone's really. Any reason to make an ordinary day extraordinary is definitely good by me! Colton surprised me with a very extra special gift: saving all of his poops 'til Daddy came home from work! (It really is the little things in life, isn't it?) I wonder if he knew it was my birthday...

The beautiful cake :)
This is the chosen cake mix ... seriously delicious!
2) Brad BAKED me a cake. YES - BRAD BAKED A CAKE! My husband is not one to spend any time in the kitchen. Ever, really. The kitchen is my domain - and the garage is his. But on a very special occasion, he will get in the kitchen and make or bake something. My birthday apparently constitutes one of those times, and the cake he baked was to die for - triple chocolate cake, with a chocolate glaze frosting. I wish I had some right now! But we definitely ate it all!

Working hard in the kitchen! 

3) Taking away the paci has been.... difficult. Re sleep training has been ... challenging. I think it may be even harder to re sleep train this boy than it was to initially sleep train. Initially, he LOVED being rocked and cuddled. Now that he hates it, there is not much we can do to calm him down before bedtime. He knows when it's bedtime - we have our routine - but nothing really works help him self-soothe, or soothe at all really, but the paci.. which we aren't giving in to. So as hard as it is to set a screaming toddler in his crib and allow him to scream, that's all we can really do. Luckily it only lasts maybe 5 or 10 minutes TOPS, but those minutes are excruciating. The rest of the day though has been SO NICE without it - he "talks" more, he hasn't even really missed it. Such a blessing to not need to take it everywhere with us -and to know when Baby Girl gets here, we will not worry so much about how to teach Colton that she can have the paci, but all of a sudden he can't. It will be more "normal" by then! Pressing on towards this goal...


4) Colton has gotten to be quite HILARIOUS lately. He honestly does the funniest things I have ever seen! Last night, he realized his drum can also be a hat... so he has been walking around with it on his head since then. All last night throughout the Super Bowl, all this morning, pretty much as often as he can. He will take it off to eat, and of course to sleep, but other than that he loves his "hat". He plays with his cars, while wearing the hat. He pushes his push-car around, while wearing the hat. He builds with his blocks, while wearing his hat. Here's a pic to show you what I mean:

Don't be fooled by the slightly sad face - I took this with my phone and had a hard time catching  his happy face! But he LOVES it!

5) We found a playgroup on post in the Youth Activity Center, and Colton had a BLAST there! He was a little unsure at first - it's a big open gym with tons of toys, for only kids 3 and under. After a few minutes of grasping my hand so tightly while exploring the gym, he let go and took off running. It was so sweet to see him having such a good time! He found a couple basketball goals, and figured out how to make a basket. Several times, he tried from different distances from the goal to see if he could make it. He is actually a really good shot! Honestly, I could not get him away from this corner of the gym for almost 45 minutes. Afterwards though, he finished exploring and found many blocks, trains with tracks, ride-on toys, tents, tunnels, cars with roads to drive on, etc. I kept trying to play with him, but this boy was not interested in mommy at all. He would give me the stink-eye and walk off, continuing to play on his own and with the other toddlers. What a blessing to know that he is so independent! Although it occassionally made me a little sad when he would snub me, I really am glad that he (already!) is not 100% needy of me. Hopefully that will help to ease the transition to life with a new baby!
Basketball! 
I think this is all I have for this week. Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment